Photo Eye Kit 550012 Fail Safe Design
The Photo Eye is a secondary safety device. It produces a beam between the 2 units. When the beam is broken it will keep the gate from closing. It requires wires to be connected to both units (20 gauge) for operation. Typically a swing gate needs two sets of photo eyes for the best area protection.
One set of photo eyes pointing across the drive on the outside of the hinge post (A). The second set mounted across the drive at the point where the gate is fully opened (B). The photo eye must be installed where the gate does not break the beam. The primary unit (Receiver) should be installed close to the control box.
It requires 4 wires to be installed from the unit to the control box. The second unit (Transmitter) should be installed on the opposite side of the drive.It requires 2 wires to be installed from the unit to the control box.
The two units must face each other to establish the beam (maximum distance 50 feet).
- Transmit and receive:
- no reflector offers superior reliability.
- 12V to 24V AC or DC.
- LED indicator for ease in alignment.
- Operating Temperatures - 20°C to +60° C.
- Sensing distance 50 feet.
- 1/2" conduit knockouts, back and bottom.
- Surface or flush mount waterproof box.
- Allows up to 30° error in alignment.
Photo Eye Kit 550012 Operation
Select a proper installation site, where the transmitter and the receiver can be along the same line and at the same height. Remove the covers of receiver and transmitter. Install back plate to the mounting surface through the two mounting holes located in back plate. Install wires (2 needed for transmitter - 4 needed for receiver) and wire to control board. Install covers and power on the system and verify that it works properly with the following checkpoints:
- If the alignment of the units are correct, the receiver's LED will be OFF; ON indicates improper alignment.
- Try to interupt the IR signal between the transmitter and the receiver. The relay in the receiver should respond accordingly by switching the LED ON and OFF.
Photo Eye Kit 550012 Specifications
- Input: 12V AC/DC or 24V AC/DC.
- Signal Frequency: 833 MHz.
- Range: 50ft.
- Power Consumption: 25mA (transmitter) 20mA (Receiver).
- Dimensions: 3.95" x 2.37" x 1.68".